What is a learner’s licence?
The learner’s licence is the first step before obtaining your probationary licence and then your class 5 license.
This licence certifies your theoretical knowledge of the road and is granted over a period of 18 months. This allows the novice driver to gain experience before obtaining a regular licence.
With this license, you can begin to drive, but you must respect a few rules:
- A person who has had a driver’s license for more than 2 years must always accompany you
- It is forbidden to drive between midnight and 5am
- The blood alcohol level limit is 0%
- If you accumulate 4 demerit points or more on your driving record, you will lose your license
- You can only drive in the province of Quebec
How to get a learner’s permit?
To get your learner’s permit, you must be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have the consent of your parents or legal guardian.
However, it is possible to enroll in a driving course before the age of 16 in order to complete the theory portion. You can consult our rates to start your training quickly!
Obtaining a learner’s license in 4 steps
1. Learning the theory courses
The theoretical part includes 5 sessions of 2 hours (10 hours) with a trainer in the school’s premises, over a period of 4 – 5 weeks (28 days minimum) in order to be aware of the road and its dangers.
2. Pass the theory test
This will be validated by your driving school by issuing you a certificate with the mention “Pass”, which will allow you to go to the next step.
3. Carry out the vision test and complete your declaration of illness
If your vision score is at least 20/40 for your better eye, and your declaration of illness is not a problem, you are now eligible to get your learner’s permit from the SAAQ.
4. Collect your license by bringing the necessary
Your passport or birth certificate issued by the registry office
Written parental consent (only if you are a minor)
The certificate from the driving school with the mention “Passed” for your theory test
Payment for the license.
If this is your first application for a license, you must submit 2 official documents, one of which must have a photo.
Here are the documents you need to present to obtain your first driver’s license if you were born in Canada:
- Original birth certificate issued after January 1, 1994 by the Directeur de l’état civil du Québec or by a government body responsible for civil status elsewhere in Canada (in the case of Ontario, the documents accepted are the birth certificate, either the abbreviated version of the birth certificate, or the original document entitled Certified Copy of Birth Registration, which has an official number and is issued by the Office of the
- Registrar General of Ontario)
- Canadian citizenship certificate with photo
- Canadian passport
- Official card of the Canadian Armed Forces
- Indian status certificate
The other document can be one of the following:
- Health insurance card
- Driver’s license obtained outside Quebec
For payment, you will have to pay the $74.3 that will be required of you in order to issue your learner’s license (photo fees included). You are now ready to start your first drives with a person who obtained his license more than 2 years ago.
How long is a learner’s permit valid for?
Your learner’s permit is valid for 1 year and 6 months and can be renewed. As soon as you get your learner’s permit, you must plan for the next step, which is to obtain your probationary license.
The training to obtain your learner’s permit
The training to obtain your learner’s permit is only composed of the theoretical part.
You must take the 4 modules of Phase 1 of the driving course. Each module includes a 2-hour theoretical portion given in class and a self-training portion accessible on the SAAQ website.
Phase 1 of the theriac course consist of the following 4 modules
Driving an automobile requires knowledge of the vehicle. In this module, you will learn about the features, controls and devices of an automobile, especially the safety features. You will also learn how to prepare the vehicle and transportation, as well as the principles of eco-driving.
The driver is influenced by various factors (values, norms, parents, friends, media, etc.), which can change his or her attitude behind the wheel and the way he or she drives.
In this module, you will be able to establish a portrait of a driver whose behavior is safe, cooperative and responsible.
Driving a car requires being aware of your environment: other road users, signs, road markings and other factors such as the type of road, weather conditions and road surface.
With this module, you will become familiar with the rules of proactive and courteous driving and reflect on the main sources of irritation that can affect the driving of a vehicle.
Drivers may be tempted to take risks. They need to be aware of the consequences of doing so. In this module, you will learn about the factors that increase the risk of an accident: speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, being impaired by alcohol, drugs or medication, fatigue and distractions.
Module 5 is a review of modules 1 to 4.
With this module, you will be able to prepare for the knowledge test that you will take at the driving school. Passing this written test will allow you to obtain your learner’s permit and begin practical training and accompanied driving.
A proactive team and fast service
Somerled School is a driving school in Montreal that does everything possible to facilitate your learner’s permit:
- You can register directly online on our website.
- We are committed to giving you an appointment as soon as possible.
- We guarantee the completion of your courses within the first year.
A high success rate
For several years, Somerled School has been ranked among the best performing schools within the SAAQ. It is 99.8% of our students who pass their driving test and obtain their learner’s permit.
- The quality of our lessons given by our instructors with more than 10 years of experience certified by the AQTR.
- A flexible schedule that takes into account your availability.
- Availability of à la carte courses according to your specific needs.
- Recognized by the AQTr – Association Québécoise des Transports.
Ready to get started? Make an appointment with us today!